Rough Friday, real rough. I had a great Thursday. Had a good training, learned some exciting things and had a great run after all of it. Came to school and just wasn't really in the mood for anything... for lack of a better word "annoying." Long story short, I learned my sub from when I was gone can't read (sense the sarcasm) and left half-way through the day. Anyway, it's over, in the past, the sun will still rise tomorrow morning and I plan to run with it :o) I could go on about how mad I was at the whole situation, at times taking my frustrations out on my students, but when people don't listen it just bugs me. It also doesn't help Isabelle is at the lovely age of 2 going on 3 and is just moody and needy and whiny and cute all at the same time. I'm also tired. hahaha
But to wrap it all together in tin foil like it's a delicious sandwich you took for lunch, I got to thinking about Wasted Life and Wasted Time. I learned a lot this week in working on our new bathroom that I don't do nearly enough in my life. I tend to be rather lazy at times and take too many rests. How much time have I wasted doing that? Whatever age you are, have you lived every minute and day to fulfillment? Or do you wonder how to just laze it out and hope for that pillow on your bed? I'm not saying never go to sleep or ever take a break, but what else could I be doing to do for the better of all around me while I sit on the couch watching some movie or another episode of Diners Drive In and Dives? Grading papers, planning labs, planning DI activities, learning about the interests of my students, planning for a busy summer of XC and fall of XC, finding more ways to show my love for my wife and daughter. It's that weird feeling of "have I done enough?" that struck me today.
Thursday, my wife's cousin passed away: http://www.weertsfh.com/obituary.html?id=2180 and her brother said something really meaningful. He said he doesn't understand how people can just waste away their day not working hard, drinking, doing drugs, being lazy, find excuses... his little sister, though completely debilitated from a neurological disease, lived every day with a smile and one of the biggest hearts you can imagine. I didn't know her very well, just occasional family things but every time I saw her she was smiling. Every time. How often can you say that?
"You can't change the cards you are dealt, only how you play the hand." ~Randy Pausche
On the way to get Isabelle I needed some music. I was so mad and the incompetence of some at school today I needed something angry. I found a CD made by one of my runners last fall. I put that in, hoping for some hardcore rap song and came across Hero by Enrique Iglesias, and so many thoughts ran through my head. Am I a hero to anyone?
Then came some others and I had to put Waka Waka on. It took me immediately back to our trip to state this past fall, there and back. I am incredibly fortunate to coach such amazing young women. Just full of life and laughter and FUN! As pretend irritated I could act around them, I love being around them laughing, having fun and planning on winning a state championship, and basking in our glory of making the top 3 for the first time in nearly 2 decades. A big smile covered my face.
I picked up Isabelle and she was a joy. I had a great talk with her day care provider, Isabelle played and put her shoes on and coat and hat. We walked outside, me holding her and it had started to snow kind of heavily. I told her, stick out your tongue and catch one! She did, and with the biggest smile and joy I have seen in a while. My heart melted and it was a snapshot moment that will lock itself in my head. That's my girl, the love of my life.
So to end, be sure you go to sleep each night with a smile. Have fun, no matter what because as Randy Pausch said "there's no other way to live it."
This should help too:
Hoffy
No comments:
Post a Comment