Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Be Like Mike
That phrase can mean so much and take on different meanings. To me, back in 1992, it meant I can do that. If I try hard, as hard as I can, I can achieve greatness. Now, I was, and I still am the guy running to the hoop trying to spin the ball around him and having an epic fail, but that's not the point. Is it? I am awful at basketball. I am. I'm awful at a lot of stuff. But I have FUN doing it. There's no other way to live it in my opinion. Life is too short to worry all the time. I watch this video and I see smiles, happiness, and FUN. Even Mike himself messes up and he's smiling the whole time. I remember watching him as a wee young lad and being amazed at his talent. There was one game where he made a whole slew of 3's. I don't remember when, not even the game or date, but he made his 6th 3 in a row or something, turns to his bench and smiles and shrugs his shoulders. I love it.
It is a great feeling to be awesome and have talent that wows the crowd. I don't doubt that. But it's disappointing when we're afraid to do things because we're too worried to fail. I think it's more important to try new things, smile while we do them, and by golly, keep working hard. "being like Mike" isn't trying, failing and going to the corner to cry and move on to something else. To "be like Mike" is to pick yourself up when you fall, dust yourself off and get back in there. Try harder, then try even harder than that. Do it with a smile. Don't forget to have fun. And you will enjoy life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment