Thursday, February 28, 2008

Be led by your dreams

I put a quote of the day on my board every morning. I try to find charming ones, or funny ones, or inspirational ones, or ones that just make sense and stick with you. I don't remember the first part of today's, but the last part is sticking with me: "Be led by your dreams." I like that. I'm not really sure what my long term dreams are... at least for myself. I know I want to get into great running shape, free of injuries and able to keep up with the top runners, or at least close to them. Learn as much as I can about the sport and continue to help guide this team towards a state championship. For myself... now, don't get the wrong idea, but I want abs like Matthew McConahay (I know that's spelled wrong). But to get there I ened to make some eating changes (my problem is I like food too much), and I need to run more (which sucks when you have patellar tendonitis). But come spring when the sun is out, the birds are finally chirping (which in April is a really great sound) and the trees are green again, I'll be running faster and just being more involved.

Yesterday I rean really fast to Augie for a track meet. It's only a mile away, but I ran really fast considering the snow on the ground. Watched the girls kick some booty and dust off the ol' joints and race again. God it felt good to shout again. My voice was coarse this morning and I love that. Ran back in the very cold night and I'm shivering just htinking about it.

Today I XT for 35 min on the elliptical. Got 4.5 miles in. Lifted crazy tonight. Started with leg extensions and hamstring curls (I do a set with both legs then two sets each leg by itself). Got on the ball and did chest press and flys right into each other. THen right into 25 sit ups then right into calf raises. Repeated that. I did 2 60 second back extension holds, two sets of squats, more abs.... triceps extension while sitting on the ball... I think that's it. Basically I lifted some muscles today I haven't lifted since CC (triceps, squats). Oh, did reverse upright rows too. I love those. I feel so strong when I do them because they're so hard.

Tomorrow I will take completely off. I'll miss the team. I sometimes wonder why I didn't go for the track job... but I'm glad I didn't. I was thinking about that this morning. I love distance running and CC. I loved it in high school and continue to love it. I'd rather devote 110% of my time and energy to something I love, than do the same for something I don't truly care for. I like track... but I don't love it. Not even nearly as close as CC. When I was at the meet last night I got that weird, secluded feeling I hated when I ran in HS. You feel so alone even though you're on a team of 60 people. hmm. I'll be around.

MC200 in a few months, some warm up races prior to that. I love running.

Long run Saturday before Partick's birthday party. Unofficial St. Paddy's day in Champaign anyone? Maybe I'll wait until Chicago.

Hi Laf and Wheels and whoever else stumbles upon my little tiny thoughtless corner of the infinite space that is the internet.

Keep your stick on the ice and "be led by your dreams."
-Hoffy

2 comments:

  1. Way to go with the workouts lately, Hoffy! It is always good to see you at track practice when you can come!

    Thanks so much for giving Stacy that quote today. She really needed it. You are always right there for kids when they need a little pick me up!

    ReplyDelete