Sunday, October 28, 2012

We Won

I don't even know what to say. I remember the last time I entered a post I was stressed to the max. I was frustrated and angry at so many pieces of my life that I just had to vent.

I want to first thank Jane. I could not have done what I was able to do without her faith and belief that I could lead this team while she was gone. She is the head of this team and I think about the thoughts I had this  season, the self-centered thoughts and I just shake my head. [Shake my head at the man I had decided to be and say at that point. I'm sorry to myself and everyone around me for my behavior and feelings. I hate excuses but I was flat out stressed out and had little places to go. But I did get better soon after those one or two weeks and I hope everyone saw a change in me. Sometimes when you hit bottom you can only go up, just like String Cheese Incident said] But, I'm not going to take away what I was able to lead this team to accomplish while she was gone- 1st place at Marshalltown, beating much favorited Dowling Catholic, 4th place at Peoria missing 3 nationally ranked teams by 4 or 5 points, and first place finishes the rest of the way. I kept the most talented group I've ever coached grounded. I kept them believing in themselves. I trusted them to do what is right and in return, they trusted and believed in me to get them to the top. If that's not a successful coach, I don't know what is.

But the emotions I'm left with this morning, the morning after we won it all, is what do I do with all of this accomplishment? I could easily be a cocky jerk and demand recognition or be humbled and gratious for the praise and congratulations I receive? It's easy to be frustrated with lack of coverage but you need to be grateful for the congratulations and honest hand-shakes you do receive. The honest and sincere ones, those are the ones you want. Not the fake "I need to congratulate you because it's the socially appropriate thing to do" hand shakes.

When we got back to the high school after a longgggg trip, there were 100+ sincere congratulations and proud of you and nice jobs. I'll take that any day.

I look at this picture:

and for 5 years I would stand below that hallowed deck, the deck where greatness is recognized.... and I would wonder if I'd ever be a coach that could be up there? I looked at the coaches up there and they have so much experience and knowledge... could I ever reach that point?

But 5 years is 5 years of experience. It's 5 years of knowledge gained. Much more than I had when I first saw that deck, like a deer in headlights.

Then last year happened and I had the opportunity to coach a group that not only believed they could be there but also put their faith in me and in Jane. They knew we could get them there. The 5 years of experience I had and the ~8 Jane had... that's 13 years of coaching knowledge right there. They believed in US and listened and trained and believed. THEY got on the deck in 3rd place. We took that picture from last year and it's still surreal. On the deck with the best in the state.

Now this year happened and it was the same group that was third a year ago. I knew we would be back up there. I just knew it. But to hold that State Champion trophy, to hold that State Coach trophy... could I get them there while Jane was gone?
After being on the deck a year ago and getting hand shakes from Coach Father Kirby and Coach Tom Mittman of City High, the two coaches I respect so greatly and admire... almost "passing the torch" to me and Jane, I knew I could do it. As a coach, you need that. You can't hold yourself on some magical pedestal where you can't be touched. Because those are the coaches that fall the hardest. I'm so humbled to be even close to their circle. I have so much more to learn but to even have that door opened is just awesome.

Look at the picture again...
We did it. That's us. That's Ali, Brenna, Anne, McKenzie, Addie, Kaley, Maddie, Maddie, and Claire. They believed in Jane and I to lead them and train them. We couldn't have done it without Leslie and Logan providing their leadership and guidance. And Kenny and Reedy, the two supporters every team needs.


When I was young, I didn't know if I would ever be great at something. I was good at a lot of things, but never great. Coaching an elite caliber team has given me the confidence that I can be great at coaching. I am still raw. I am still rough around the edges and I still find myself almost too.... over the top. But I like it that way. I like being honest and up front. I like telling how it is and not fluffing it up... our society has become so "careful" with what we say that no one is honest anymore. I know at times this fall I lost my temper and my inner Coach Seago came out, but it's because I care and I hate seeing young people sell themselves short.
I'm still young too. I had thoughts this season that this would be it for me. But that is not the right decision and I know it now. Truly great people find ways to stay great and it's time for me to step it up in all facets of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment