This week posed a lot of questions to me. Did I organize the project in chemistry as best I could? Did they get out of it what I was looking for? How do I determine if they did? Did physical science get anything out of the roller coasters they built? a lot of questions with teaching mostly. Some frustrations, a lot of them actually... petty things. Aren't they always? As I sit here typing this I am listening to Peter, Paul and Mary's 25th anniversary concert. This music is absolutely essential to human kind. There is no way human kind will survive without it. It is paramount that we, in this generation, everyone alive, listen to this music, smile, laugh, love, and CARE about ourselves and each other, and cherish what this group has done for society and music. Listening and watching them sing Puff the Magic Dragon, a song with only one meaning- the loss of childhood innocence, faces of the audience, many of which are children transfixed with soft smiles and wondering eyes... the crowd takes over the chorus and even as an adult, 31 years old, I am taken back to my boyhood home, my room with blue walls, legos, GI Joes, He-Man, teddy bears and a dinosaur blanket. I am sometimes amazed and wonder if I am being a good father and many many tell me I am. I now know part of the reason why. It is because of PPM and my wonderful parents for not so much forcing me to listen to PPM, but having it on when I was in the room, or the car. I learned the songs and sang a long with them. Now that I am older, they're not just melody's and words, but they have so much deeper of a meaning. I have matured and can only hope Isabelle grows up with the lovely innocence I had. And to do it with a smile, and love, and caring of a good person.
My other question came about midweek when a video was passed through social media about the Invisible Children of Uganda and a grass roots campaign to capture the man responsible for so much hatred and death in Central Africa. The information is easy to find, and no need to summarize here. But I was left with so many questions about our society, and our country, and simply how selfish our country has become. If it's not happening on our back doorstep, who gives a s***. It's so very sad this attitude and mentality even exists. It sickens me really. How can anyone turn a blind eye to innocent children being murdered, faces disfigured, parents shot and mutilated... I know the U.S. of A has it's own issues. But I promise you nothing will get solved on our own soil if we can't stop looking at our neighbor, our peers, our co-workers without putting them on one side or the other on a political spectrum. When will we learn to cherish our differences, and come together to make our world a safe place. A happy place, full of love and caring? It is really sad.
Then this morning happened. I now know why I am so happy in the fall. I now know why I have been a little "depressed" the first month or two of this year. I haven't been around my team. I haven't been around their smiles. They're love for each other. They're caring for each other. It is a very special, special group of young people. I don't know what they say about me when my back is turned, but I know it's good and not too weird. I hope at least. Then you turn around and they're staring at you and laughing while you patiently wait for the old lady in front of you in the Panera line to FINALLY order her stupid cinnamon roll and coffee.. :o) Could it be that they were laughing at? Will they listen to me this fall? Will they realize I do know why I'm doing, sort of, but do things with a smile and a touch of goofiness. Life is too damn short, but when you live it right, and live it with love and a smile, once is just enough.
It was also cool this morning when Isabelle wanted to go on a run with me :o) I love her, and Sarah. And I love my team and Jane, and I love running, and I love to smile and be goofy. Because there ain't no other way to live it.
Cheers,
Hoffy
No comments:
Post a Comment